Albany Pro Musica is pleased to welcome between four and eight high school students as interns for the 2023-2024 performance season (September 2023 to May 2024). This opportunity is open to talented and highly motivated students who will be in grades 10, 11, or 12 during the 2023-24 academic year, and who are interested in pursuing a career in music.
Albany Pro Musica interns will receive invaluable experience related to:
- Rehearse and perform with Albany Pro Musica, a professional-caliber choral ensemble, for the full 2023-24 concert season. Interns will be paired with APM Concert Chorus singers within their vocal section to serve as “rehearsal buddies” and offer musical guidance as needed.
- Perform alongside professional musicians, including Orchestra Pro Musica, renowned vocal soli, and celebrated guest ensembles.
- Perform at the historic Troy Savings Bank Music Hall.
Arts administration: Learn about and support administrative aspects of concert production and event management.
College preparation: Receive a recommendation letter from APM’s artistic/executive director for their college applications.
APM will also coordinate, based on the specific music-career interests expressed by the students, one or more experiential learning opportunities for interns.
Time Commitment: Interns are expected to participate in all of APM’s performance opportunities during the season, including:
- Four APM subscription-series concerts (interns may be excused from 1 concert of the season with advance notice and approval)
- Appearances with Albany Symphony Orchestra and/or the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (as applicable)
- High School Choral Festival
- APM’s Spring Gala
Musical Preparation: Interns are expected to meet the same musical expectations as APM’s Concert Chorus members, including attendance, etiquette, and score preparation. Please refer to the APM Concert Chorus Handbook for specific requirements and expectations.
Interested students should submit an internship application form along with a recommendation letter from their chorus director or other music teacher. Internship applications must be signed by a parent or guardian. Prospective interns must also complete a Concert Chorus audition to assess their vocal ability, timbre, and range.
APM interns are expected to pay the standard APM membership dues of $150 per season. Dues may be waived if they pose a financial hardship to a student intern or their family.